Yes, yes, we know. Furniture shopping on Taobao gives you the biggest savings (why do you think we’ve covered it all?).
But once you’re done filling your shopping cart with couches, wardrobes and what not – take a closer look at the fringes of Taobao’s sprawling online shopping mecca, and you’ll find a smorgasbord of just the most amazing Indie shops selling handmade, artisanal goods that will put Anthropologie to shame.
Needless to say, prices may not be bargain-bin – but they most certainly are affordable and very cheaply priced considering the quality you’re getting.
And first up in our #YesItsFromTaobao Local Designer Series is No Match (不合原创设计) or No Match Bu He Yuan Chuang She Ji.
Specialising in delightfully off-kilter accessories and accoutrements that feature fun motifs of tropical fruit and Wes Anderson like illustrations, this gem of an Indie boutique shop doesn’t skimp on the quality of materials used either.
All accessories are made of mid to high-quality material including 925 silver and fine satin.
At such reasonable prices – it’s quite a steal.
Boutique: NoMatch不合原创设计 / No Match Bu He Yuan Chuang She Ji
Product category: Fashion accessories
Suggested shipping method: Taobao’s own international shipping service
Rating: 4 Blue Diamonds, Gold Medal Seller, 9 Years Old Shop
And our favourite picks from the lot!
1. This eye catching cubic-art bead necklace is the perfect accessory to keep your outfit from looking too basic.
Price: RMB 178.20 = SGD 35.50
Material/Specs: 925 silver with 24K gilt for necklace chain, length of chain: 44cm, size of pendant: 2.7 (L) x 3.3 (W) cm
2. ‘Cause I feel it. …in my stomach.’ Remember this famous line, eternalised by Natalie Portman in Leon: The Professional? Then you’ll love this homage to the iconic film in the form this set of ultra feminine earrings – made with acrylic and genuine leather.
Price: RMB 108 = SGD 21.52
Material/Specs: Acrylic and genuine leather material, 925 silver with 24K gilt for earring hooks
3. This silk printed scarf borrows different elements from popular fashion themes: checks, floral prints and tropical prints – and somehow mashes all three together to create something that’s completely unique and simply works.
Price: RMB 88 = SGD 17.53
Material/Specs: 50(L) x 50(W) cm, silk-alike satin material
4. Wes Anderson himself would approve of this retro-themed umbrella that features swimmers doing their stretches on a pale blue canvas. A pretty sight to perk anyone up on a rainy day.
Price: RMB 168 = SGD 33.47
Material/Specs: 25.5cm in length when folded, UPF 50+ and blocking over 99% UV rays
5. Got milk? How about this acrylic ‘got milk’ pin instead?
Price: RMB 30 = SGD 5.98
Material/Specs: Acrylic material, 5.5(L) x 4.2(W) cm
6. This minimalist canvas knapsack is exactly what you’d think you’d find in the shops of Stockholm. Only the Chinese leek embroidery gives a subtle hint as to the bag’s origin.
Price: RMB 198 = SGD 39.44
Material/Specs: Canvas material, 36-27(L) x 23(W) cm
7. At first glance, these look like snakeskin brogues. Look closer – these brogues actually feature pine tree patterns. A quirky take on a classic staple.
Price: RMB 198 = SGD 39.44
Material/Specs: Limited sizes available (35 and 36 only), cow-skin material
Happy shopping scenesters <3